Start a new topic

Need help on what model Samsung S5

Ok guys need help big time. I'm working in Afghanistan and have the S3 and my screen is badly cracked. So it's great timing to get the S5. This is what I’m looking for… Surly I don't have to buy directly from AT&T do I? I called and they said they don't sell unlocked phones but a couple months ago I was going to upgrade with a new program where they let u out of your contract and buy the unlocked phone full price and make payments. Now they act like I made this up. Sheesh what was the name of that program anybody know? What I'm looking for 1. international unlocked phone 2. supports AT&T G4 & G4 LTE 3. i can tether overseas 4. i can use boost overseas 5. has the Wi-Fi bake charger now coming out So far what I think that I need as far as frequencies that will work on AT&T back home · FREQUENCIES AND DATA TYPE LTE: Bands 1/2/3/4/5/7/17; HSPA+/UMTS: 850/1900/2100MHz; GSM: 850/900/1800/1900MHz; G900F - has LTE but LTE will not work on AT&T, but the 3G will work. G900H - Only 3G My Question I work overseas but will be home in the states off & on and someone told me I'd better make sure it will work on the AT&T GMS network when I get back so that's what I need to Know. I'm on AT&T back in the states so it's GSM I need. I'm finding so many different ones on web sites but no information as to what I need. A lot of them only say 3G from what I have found. I surly want a model that supports G4 back in the states and can anyone explain the G4 LTE Vs the G4, does AT&T support G4 LTE. Surly I don't want just a G3 model heck my Samsung S3 did G4 I'm sure. Any help is greatly appreciated. DK Daniels dan@dkdaniels.com

Good luck, I hope you get the answer. That is some good information. www.solavei.com/xxxsim

Hey Danny,

So here are the models we have available

Regarding the various models you inquired about

• The G900M is the America's variant and is North and South America Compatible for LTE 4G
  • The G900H is 3G capable only. It also has Samsungs exynos octaore processor while all other variants including the ones mentioned here  have Snapdragon 801
  • The G900F is the international version and has LTE compatibility for most locations in Europe, Asia, Australia and Canada

I would highly recommend checking out our amazing Network Compatibility finder to see what networks the variants we carry work with. You can also see the frequency bands of the devices in the detailed speccs section

Now I see you are looking for one that supports at&t 4G LTE

In this case that would be the G900M that has the 700 MHZ frequency band for LTE on at&t. We have sold it to quite a few customers for use on at&t

Now there are two things you need to look out for when using this device.

Firstly the device is made for intitial activation in the US so before you take it anywhere abroad it has to be used in the US for about 5-10 mins worth of talk time. After that you can take it anywhere in the world. What network you use it on doesnt matter it just has to be in North or South America.

Secondly you may be able to relate to this but many of our customers have had difficulty enabling LTE on their devices with at&t. Some had to become squeaky wheels in order to get it and others simply plugged their sim cards in and LTE just starts working. at&t customer service is extremely unsupportive of bringing your own device to at&t for LTE.

Here is what I can recommend if you want to avoid at&t altogether. Straight Talk offers at&t based service and also offers LTE. They also let you bring your own phone so here its a case of simply getting your phone activating service and then configuring the device to use LTE. We can ofcourse assist with how to configure it. 

I am glad you asked about the difference between 4G LTE and "regular 4G" as its called.

This section is going to be quite long so if you want the TL:DR just go all the way to the end and skip the rest.

When we say 4G or 3G it means 4th generation or 3rd generation technology as far as mobile internet services are concerned.

The regular 4G isnt really 4th generation technology at all. What the service really is is HSPA+ which is basically just an upgraded 3G service.

LTE on the other hand is 4th Generation technology. Infact no where except the US does anyone call HSPA+ 4G  Whether you go to Europe or Asia 4G and LTE are synonymous

Now why do carriers  make this absurd claim of calling an upgraded 3G service 4G?

There is no firm word on it but the conventional wisdom is thatt the major carriers decided even before they got LTE that they had to start offering the "next generation of mobile technology". Problem is they didnt have it. So what do they do ? They improve their 3G to HSPA and advertise it as 4G. 

First one service did it, then another then the next one and this rate race began to perpetuate the myth

Now its become so mainstream to call HSPA+ 4G that you cant really do anything about it. Repeat a lie long enough and make enough people believe you and it becomes the truth.

I can paint my Toyota red, put a bigger engine in it and call it a Ferrari and to anyone who hasnt seen a Ferrari but knows they are red may believe me.

At the end of the day its not a Ferrari.

Fact is there is no such thing is regular 4G.  Its an improved 3G masquerading as 4G so customers who dont get LTE can also be happy they are getting 4G. If anything its a 3.5G

LTE is 4G technology and HSPA+ (or 4G) is 3G  technology end of story. That doesnt mean HSPA is bad or poor service, its fantastic service and has great speeds, but its not 4G.

This response may raise more questions than it answers and ofcourse if you feel like I didnt address anything appropriately feel free to point it out 

For now I believe this is plenty of information to absorb.

Hi Danny.
If you need list of S5, S4 models with corresponding LTE-4G band lists (and prices for unlocked new/refurbished/used) - you can see a full table on my page: by-iphone . com (see my profile).
I copied some of them here:

Galaxy S5 SM-G900F - LTE 800/850/900/1800/1900/2100/2600 Europe(LTE Variants) for Europe

Galaxy S5 SM-G900HNO - LTE 4GEurope(3G Variants octa-core)

Galaxy S5 SM-G900I - LTE 700/850/900/1800/1900/2100/2300/2600 Asia
Galaxy S5 SM-G900K - LTE 700/900/1800/2100/2600 Korea
Galaxy S5 SM-G900L - LTE 600/850/1800/2100 Korea
Galaxy S5 SM-G900S - LTE 600/850/1800/2100 Korea
Galaxy S5 SM-G900W8 - LTE 700/850/900/1800/1900/2100/2600 Canada
Galaxy S5 SM-G900M - LTE 700/850/1700/1900/2100/2600 USA for Vodafone

Galaxy S5 SM-G900A - LTE 700/850/1700/1800/1900/2100/2600 USA for AT&T

Galaxy S5 SM-G900T - LTE 700/850/900/1700/1800/1900/2100/2600 USA for T-Mobile

Galaxy S5 SM-G900T1 - LTE 850/900/1800/1900 USA for MetroPCS

Galaxy S5 SM-G900P - LTE 850/900/1800/1900 USA for Sprint

Galaxy S5 SM-G900R4 - LTE 700/850/1700/1900/2100 USA for US Cellular

Galaxy S5 SM-G900V - LTE 700/1700/2100 USA for Verizon

Hope it helps.

I know, this is not on a subject.

But have to mention that price gap has narrowed.

Just before the release of iPhone 6 ---  iPhone 5S (unlocked) - is $549 in APPLE store (New York). Price for a used iPhone 5S (in good condition) dropped to $380.

Will the s5 duos work on att lte? I can't seem to understand how this works. I know att uses a couple lte frequencis and the duos doesnt have all of them.

Hello Guys, I'm Alvin, newbie here need some advice, please help. I'm in Indonesia. 

The condition is that I'm gonna buy this samsung galaxy s5, but confused with the 4G code, like "SM-G900x".

Firstly, in Indonesia itself are commonly sold samsung galaxy s5 octa core or code name "SM-G900H". But it's not support 4G, am I right? 

Then, I start to search online the 4G for Asian, and I'm find the "SM-G900I/K" that I find in online shop in my country, but the seller told me that it's not 4G version. And as proof of their said are in gsmarena.com the "SM-G900I/K" that are used in Asia for "I", and Korea for "K" are not in the list for 4G version. It's only "SM-G900M/F/T", of course they not sold in my country. FYI, in my country the most of the operators are started  using 4G, that makes me search the 4G S5, so in the future I don't have to change to 4G phone again.

Now, I'm using BlackBerry Q10, miraculously my BlackBerry Q10 are 4G supported, but the problem is processor are too slow, still dual core, that makes me buy another phone. 

Thanks for your help. 

Login or Signup to post a comment